Use this checklist to help you prepare for the hiring and interview process for an open position in your organization.
- Review federal, state and local laws related to employment and hiring practices.
- Write the job description and decide on any other necessary details, such as salary range and
- Decide who will conduct the screening interview and what basic qualifications must be met by
- Choose what type of interview you will conduct (e.g., in the office, over the phone, at lunch).
- Decide how structured your interview will be. Do you want to work through a list of questions, or
are you comfortable with a more casual, conversational approach?
- Write your interview questions. Decide if you will use one type (e.g., behavioral), or a mix of
different types of questions.
- Know what questions are illegal.
- Establish a method of evaluation so you can fairly compare candidates.
For more information on the interviewing process, dowload our Interviewing Toolkit. This toolkit is designed to guide you step-by-step through the interview process and help you find the right people for your organization.